Japanese A5 Kagoshima Striploin Wagyu Donburi
A super simple recipe that you can make with Japanese Wagyu!
- 16 oz Japanese A5 Kagoshima Striploin Wagyu
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 whole onion
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons of Japanese dashi soy sauce
- A handful of chopped green onions
- Olsson’s Sea Salt Flakes (any type of salt)
- Cook the rice and set it aside for later.
- Chop up the onion into small strips and set it aside.
- With the pan set on high, place the Kagoshima Wagyu on the pan for two minutes.
- Flip the Wagyu over and sear it for another two minutes.
- After it's done cooking, take it out of the pan and let it rest on the side for 10 minutes.
- Place the onions into the same pan and saute them.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the dashi soy sauce and cook it until caramelized.
- Cut the steak at a 45-degree angle so they are in thinly sliced strips.
- Just like that, you’re done with the cooking, now let's get to the plating!
- Make a dome of rice on the bottom of the bowl.
- Take your caramelized onion and place it in the middle and all around the bowl.
- Now layer your thinly sliced Wagyu vertically around the bowl.
- Don’t forget to leave a space in the middle to put your egg yolk!
- Garnish your dish with some green onions and Sea Salt Flakes.
- Just like that, you’re ready to serve!
If you want to impress someone and look like a professional chef, there is no easier way than this. Since Japanese A5 Wagyu is super fatty, cut off a sliver of the fat on the edge and use it to grease your pan. No oil or butter necessary. In such a short amount of time, you will see a wonderful golden-brown sear. Japanese A5 Kagoshima Wagyu has a subtle meaty taste, which works perfectly for this dish. The smell, flavor, and plating will blow anyone away!